Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Spy alliance for life!

Nothing much new to report to be perfectly honest. There's tension in the air like I've never felt before; everyone is waiting, waiting. Life is moving on, yet on hold. Friends are becoming more paranoid, the question everyone is asking is "what will happen?"

And no one seems to know.

Yesterday I didn't have any classes - this week I'm not working very much due to cancellations and these potential new students playing the waiting game before starting anything new. It timed out well because I could meet with Anne-Sophie, a lovely française I met in December who has been traveling around the region for almost 6 months now. I could once more speak in French (yay!) and drink fabulous hot chocolate as well as talk about the difficulties with transitioning home after travels, the constant pressures of being foreign, becoming an "other" at home and away, ideas about the future, and compare the US, France, Serbia, and other Balkan countries. After my English reading circle (I do like those lit discussions) I met up with some fellow crazy Americans, Anne-Sophie came too and we toasted Lafayette, were silly and serious at turns. Did everyone good I think - with all this pressure you have to be silly otherwise you'll crack. It was a good night with a motley crew assembled by the end laughing like mad.

Today I had two classes, ran some errands, saw other friends for drinks in the evening. We finished up with Anne-Sophie, Nicholas and I walking homewards discussing (in French naturally) how everyone assumes that we're spies. I mean, I've stopped fighting it. And when the French conspiracy to overthrow everything so that Sarkozy can manage his marital woes and make everyone eat snails daily comes to light, well, you'll know where you heard it first. And that classy dame on his arm? Well, let's just say I met her in Belgrade in the wee smalls of a December evening...

Seriously, the big protest tomorrow will be a (if not the) turning point. Nicholas (who sticks out a bit being a tall black man from Congo even though he claims to be Montenegrin) said that the way people look at him has changed for the worse as the week has gone on. He's used to being stared at but it's become more pointed. A policeman stopped him today and told him not to go out tomorrow for his own sake (rioters don't check ID before beating you after all). Tense. Things are supposed to be peaceful, but who knows what will actually happen. I'll be going nowhere near the center but watching it on TV (perhaps). I'd just like this miasma of fear to go away, is that too much to ask?

No comments: