Monday, February 18, 2008

Kosovo recognition: Afghanistan first, France, U.S. follow

This is a real headline from B92. Sounds like the US and France said, "Hey, if Afghanistan is doing it, well, we should too! Then we'll be super cool. Like they are!" The comments are great on the article as well, worth reading.

So it was my first day out in a few - felt good to be outside my four walls. The city seemed full of its normal kind of busyness with people everywhere, although there were more police out and about, directing traffic and being present in front of public buildings. Plans are being made for protests, the government is heading up one Thursday and there is talk of students doing something but nothing definite. After my lesson I saw riot police (they so look like Ninja Turtles) at Zeleni Vrenac (a market and big bus stop), some vandal youth shouting at each other. The McD's there was already trashed as well; Mercator (a Slovene owner supermarket) was evacuated this afternoon because of bomb threat (they had a little explosion earlier this week when the store was empty). Most of the destruction has been done by this kind of crowd - teens who are bored and see a good excuse to break some stuff. Why not?

Heard stories from other friends about October 5th revolution and how organizers during that time would change cell numbers daily, keep everyone on their call list memorized and leave no trace in their phones at all. No contact info, call history, or text messages. Now there's dedication to a cause.

Speaking of texts, got one from a friend that said "don't go protest even if you can run ;-) this is crazy country - i told you so." Taxi driver tonight told me that every country has its radicals - she's totally right. (She didn't realize either that I'm not Serbian - my "disguise" of comprehension pays off again!) It's unfortunate that they are often the ones who get media coverage. But then again, moderates don't give quite as exciting quotes or do quite such boneheaded actions. Usually.

My students keep canceling lessons as well - who knows what's connected to what.

I just want someone to give me a good reason or two that Serbia would actually want to keep Kosovo - in many ways they're better off without it. By the same token, I wonder how those in Kosovo will really benefit from being independent. Infrastructure doesn't grow overnight.

And for all of you wondering out there - I've packed away my American flag cape since this is obviously not the time to be wearing it on the streets. Which are quiet, safe, and FULL of police. I'll update more frequently this week as I rocket around and see what I can find out (without, of course, putting myself in danger).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Carmen Sandiego and Greg Lee would be proud of you -- bbq