Saturday, August 13, 2011

English Episodes #16 - Endings & Beginnings

My last day of teaching regularly was yesterday, a fact that is both exciting and sad. I've grown to really enjoy my intermediate class, there are definitely some amusing and eclectic personalities therein. But with grad school looming, I needed to clear my schedule as much as possible so that I can try to get in and get out of masters land.

That said, my last class was certainly a blast. We ate breakfast at Denny's (right around the corner from school). I was skeptical about such a field trip, but they totally loved the typical American experience therein. Also the fact that things were so BIG (it is America after all). Someone tried to drink the syrup like a shot, but didn't get far at all. I like how in a more causal context they start asking more personal questions both of me and each other. Grand Slams eaten, pictures taken by our good-natured waiter, we left behind empty plates and cups that were swiftly taken away.

A short stroll around Yerba Buena park had them taking tons and tons of photos in paparazzi gone wild style. I like that my classes like each other, it's nice to welcome in new members into a community that's willing to grow for them. Back at school, I gave them a short break before reconvening class. A couple were late, though, because they'd gone and gotten me a cake! It said "Beathany Good Luck We Love You" - so sweet! They'd also gotten a card that was furtively passed around and signed. One of my Korean students had her awesome mini-Polaroid camera and documented the cake, our breakfast, and my silly reaction :) I felt very loved. And very full of sugar with my black forest cake love and all. My colleagues seemed sad that I won't be there regularly, though I will keep subbing since my classes this semester don't happen in the mornings.

All in all, a very good day. One that makes me glad I've been teaching. I also have invites to Rome and Barcelona, Japan and Korea, so perhaps I'll be trying to get overseas and take people up on those. Time to renew that passport!

1 comment:

anne said...

awesome awesome awesome! SO glad that final regular day was great! And is a good place, your "old school" -- glad the colleagues appreciate you! Think subbing will be useful, as well.
MEANWHILE...........
off to prod D into packing for school!
KEEP ME POSTED!