Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Little Brother

It's the first day of classes at SFSU, but my first class isn't until tomorrow. So what better time to read YA fiction?! I'm currently enthralled by Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. Though I'm not finished (about a third left to go), I'm thinking more about civil liberties and what patriotism means for those who want to actually fight for rights and freedoms. Not that the book is totally heavy - a 17 year old vows to take down Homeland Security after a terrible terrorist attack cripples the Bay Area. Thanks to Rebecca for the recommendation!

I must admit a secret love for those who hack, starting with Elsbeth Salander in The Girl with a Dragon Tattoo. She does incredible things with weak excuses for security and brings down bad guys (well, most of them) (and totally in her own way). With the interwebs being so full of ideas, openness makes more and more sense. Heck, Doctorow even has his book downloadable for free and a blog post explaining why. I like it.

No comments: