Monday, December 27, 2010

December English learning part 2 (#4)

More from the classroom:

"You are mistake!"

"She went home by boat." (Not BART?)

From tests I graded:
"I went to sleep (or in American-French slang 'I put the meat in the blanket!!!')"
"She hates going to supermarkets (because she doesn't like eating vegetables)."

Student trying to justify his word choice: "It sounds good to me."
Me: "It doesn't sound good to me."

Fun with Max
The class decided that Max, our youngest class member, is rich. Over the course of a few days, it was decided that he was going to marry one of the Japanese women and move to Japan. Also that we were all going to his house in France on vacation. He said his house is Versailles, so plenty of room. I said something about how the beds are too small for me there. He disagreed and then everyone made fun of him for not knowing about his own house...

Me: "Some French men are charming."
Max: "For me it's not a problem."

Pronouncing cupboard, I drilled one student a few times early in the class. He then turned on Max when it was pronounced incorrectly and drilled him several times. "Cu-burd. Repeat!"

"We are family, no?" Max on why the whole class should come to my house for New Year's Eve even when I tell them I'm not going to be there... My roommates were amused. I have made sure my students don't know exactly where I live just in case.

Max asks the meaning of the word "joke" - I ask the class if anyone knows a joke so we can model the idea for him.
Student to Max: "You are very handsome. Joke."
I die laughing, have to turn my back on class to get my composure.
Max: "I am a joke?"

1 comment:

anne said...

this is fun stuff! Good thing they are grown-ups, it would never fly w/kids (well, not in a reg. school, perhaps in a language school)
poor max....:D