The episodes continue:
The day after "You are very handsome. Joke!" the word "liar" came up. So what does the same student do to Max? Turn and say, "You are very handsome. I am a liar!"
A student made rice krispie treats for the class incorporating fruity pebbles to give them color and flair. They were delicious, but I still laughed at the idea of using fruity pebbles (perhaps my notion of American-style treats is a narrow one. Or maybe I was jealous I'd not thought of it first).
His response: "Don't laugh. It's my American experience."
In late December I started having students do 10 pushups if they come late to class after a break (by more than a minute). Today I had 2 different students do them at 2 different times. The dictatorship is benevolent, but it is still a dictatorship.
Taking my students on a scavenger hunt in Hayes Valley was a silly & fun time as they came up with categories of restaurants and stores, found out the prices of different items, and *gasp* had to talk with strangers to get directions to some of the locales. After walking over Alamo Square we then had lunch at Nopalito, one of my favorite restaurants (though it got mixed reviews from students due to spice factors). Once again, I had to watch out for Max attempting to order alcohol (I'm tolerant, but he's 18. No dice, son.) and got the waiter on my side early on. All the staff was super friendly and helpful explaining things. My favorite was when we went to order dessert - their mainstay are paletas, the ultimate popsicle. Unfortunately there were only 2 apple left, so 2 people of the 4 who had ordered them had to change. Given a choice between persimmon/lime/cream and chocolate, Max ordered orange. And was told again that they only had 2 flavors, but that this one was like orange. He ordered chocolate, even though encouraged to be adventurous.
The waiter's response (with headshake): "Max, I'm disappointed in you."
Amazing.
This week I've had 14 students - it's getting crowded in elementary English land. I told them yesterday that I have 7 boyfriends, one for every day of the week. One of the new students piped up - "6 is better. Sunday is for resting." We're going to get on fine.
Thursday, January 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
love the benevolent dictatorship :)
sounds like it goes well -- am so very glad! and they are obviously going to learn stuff and have fun doing it, as it should be!
poor max :D
Post a Comment