Wednesday, April 9, 2008

These are the people in your neighborhood...

Entertained because walking to work the other day saw two guys looking a map, taking photos. Perhaps my trip to Venice has re-honed these instincts, but immediately I thought "Ah ha! Tourists!" and asked if they were lost. They weren't but we chatted a bit anyway, gave them some pointers and ended up inviting to meet me the next day to go get coffee with another friend. Why not? It was fun - ended up being Dragan, both Chris (a mechanical engineer from Oklahoma City taking 2 weeks vacation in Budapest and Belgrade) and Hayden (Brit studying classics who went to Greece to see what he's been reading about and decided to train it back instead of fly) came along, we went far out near Ada and just had a really good time. Lots of nerd/geek talk, swapping ghost stories, silliness. Hayden went to catch his train but Dragan and I took Chris for good homecooking (there's a little hut near to my house) mixing up talk of the Simpsons with current politics, stereotypes about Serbia. I greatly respect that the reason Chris came here was because he didn't know anyone else who'd ever been here - there's a spirit of adventure for you. And he's planning to come back - makes the heart glad.

So yes, I keep talking to strangers. And I even have new students! Strangers I get paid to talk to! How much better can it get?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.