The rest of my trip involved lots of history - I visited at least a museum a day. Tuesday was an exhibition about Romans and Barbarians where I wished they had better (or at least a big more descriptive) labeling. Wednesday began with the Dodge's Palace and all its splendor. The waiting room covered in maps with two large globes (one of the earth, other of the heavens) really struck me as did the enormous chamber where the Grand Council would meet. My ticket got me into a few other museums so I decided to take advantage. That afternoon I headed to Museo Correr (which focuses on history of the Venetian republic) and enjoyed a globe exhibition - incredible details and art from so long ago. Attached was also the Archaeological Museum and rooms in the National library (now exhibition space). I was glad there was so much as a thunderstorm blew in maybe a half hour after I'd entered, allowing me to peruse at leisure the overwhelming richness therein. When not only the walls but ceilings are covered in art it can get a bit too much. I'll not drone on about the cool statues, etc. I saw but if you go to Venice it's worth the visit. Thursday afternooon brought me to Ca'Pesaro, a modern art museum that also houses an oriental/Asian art and artifact collection. I was glad to rest my eyes on something more familiar and not drenched in history that I don't know much about.
Met some more artists when I tried to find Stefan (the Bulgarian painter) again. The address I had wasn't the place I was looking for but another gallery instead. Thus I got to meet a woman who does striking things mixing cloth, paint and transferring photographs over top. I did manage to locate him and the others too, making new acquaintances in the process. Roamed around a bunch, ate gelatto, and hung out with Pia and company late in the evenings. A good balance of work and play overall. Thursday night we went out to meet some of her acquaintances - a few girls were from Belgrade and confirmed this as truth by the first thing they asked me: "Where do you live in Beograd?" Location is everything, even when away from home I suppose. Also got to chat with a great guy from Chad in French (huzzah), it was nice to be free once more in a foreign tongue. It was a fun last night but getting home in the wee smalls and then chatting more made our planned departure time on Friday of 10 a.m. impossible. Instead took a more leisurely time, had one last cappuccino with Pia in the square by the apartment (here we are below), and then hit the road (well, the valporetto that took us to the road).
Swung through Trieste - wish that had more time to visit there, it was simply gorgeous with the coast in the sun - and continued the drive back home. But took longer than planned (stopping to eat helped that) so I didn't get to my apartment until 1 a.m. And I had classes at 10 a.m. that morning (which I still had to prep). Still, I did it and survived (and slept a whole ton last night finally). In short a good trip where I learned a bunch. I'll post photos soon so you can enjoy the plethora of pretty old buildings that surrounded me for the past 10 days.
No comments:
Post a Comment