Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Cafe musings

It's funny, we spend a lot of time in cafes here (by we I mean seemingly everyone in town). And there's always the search for the perfect one - they have widely different personalities. Some are great for afternoon lounging, others for a quick(er) cuppa, yet others for nighttime but never day. I've been discovering some tucked away ones, great big terrace kinda places. Practically every place now has outdoor seating set up, great to watch the world go by. But regardless of where you go, you need at least 10 minutes to get the waiter's attention for your bill so you can leave. I went and downloaded photos from Oplenac the other day at one with free wifi. Which was great except that the waiter spilled coffee all over my computer (he broke the first rule of serving - always use a tray)! Now it's caffeinated although I've been told decaf is better for electronics.

And then yesterday our server asked me and a friend if we were from Beograd. She thought I was English and he from North Africa or Asia or something. Bizarre. But funny. I had a student the other day think I was Serbian for the entire lesson (he'd not been in the class when I'd visited before). Acclimation? Or just that we see what we expect to see? Or is it the new haircut?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

enjoyed the musings...have heard about decaf for electronics, before now :)
so is it coffee they're all drinking?

m