Wednesday, May 2, 2007

1st May

Walking down the street yesterday in city center, it was totally and completely empty. Worse than on a Sunday. So here's my question - why is it when people are working the streets and cafes are full but when they're not everything is empty? True, many go have cookouts and flee to pastoral calm, but still... curious.

Happy 1st May, a huge national holiday here (it being Labor day and all that). I spent it sleeping in, then heading into town with some friends before going on a walk about "Invisible Belgrade" that my Serbian school organized. We went around and saw places where Roman ruins are (although none are really visible), talked about Celtic and Roman times. I think it's fascinating how the main roads are on top of the old Roman ones. That these arteries have been key for centuries. It makes complete sense but doesn't make it less cool. My fellow American on the walk is the future military attaché for the US Embassy. Madness who one meets.

The rest of the day was spent in various forms of revelry (with plans changing until the last minute as per usual - going to a splav became going out to eat, something we hardly ever do). But all in all a fine time had by all. Today is work free for me and most everyone else as well, but I'll have to start thinking about the next three days where I teach at least 5 hours for each. And do my Serbian homework. Ah, school.

No comments: