As many of you know, I love love love coming home to Indiana for Thanksgiving cavorting with the Qualls clan. This year was no exception, though we were thinner on the ground than normal for the actual day.
Perhaps it's having hordes of people to bake for. I got back to the Bloomington homestead 2:30 on Weds after swinging by the grocery store and went into full pie baking mode. The last two came out of the oven (with the help of the lovely Sarah E, also in town for feasting with family) before midnight. 6 pies of various types - not a bad day's work. The cabinet in the garage where these things are staged was full with Kenny, Chuck, Nancy, and my efforts. Delicious efforts at that. Uncle Bill stayed in New Zealand (we missed him and aunt Linda so much!) so I recruited Mark to carve with me. The first turkey was a tender, insane mess and literally fell apart whenever we touched it. Each chopping up though. The smoked one (gracias Knapowskis) was a bit more solid; luckily we'd practiced our moves a bit.
The cousins continue to amuse as they get older; I love how the house is filled with card and game playing, scrabble, mille bornes, even bridge. The running amok within the confines of the house (the rain didn't make me want to leave at all though), the evening singing around the piano, the fact that people show up and we might not even know who they are but welcome them in anyway... and then discreetly figure out who they know in the house.
Last night I got talked into making chocolate chip cookies. And then had everyone watch Scott Pilgrim Vs the World. Hilarity ensued, though last gathering's watching of the Riff Trax Twilight perhaps will never be repeatable. In short, I love seeing folks, baking, and chat chat chatting the week away. What a wonderful time. I'll stop gushing now.
But how excellent it is to have so much to be thankful for, especially after such a rough summer/early fall. Life is gorgeous. For reals.
Saturday, November 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
was lovely to see you! b safe!
Post a Comment