Thursday, April 2, 2009

Tolerance

It's a virtue. Like patience, right? One of those things that I've been working on my whole life.

And yet I've discovered that working with the public five days a week is strangely changing my personality. My capacity for fools is probably about the same, but I can be at least surface-level polite for a longer period of time with those I face across the counter. So that's a plus.

However, now when I have time off I don't want to deal with idiots. At all. And thus my social tolerance has dwindled; I can't stand people who puff themselves up on the first meeting much like a bird in a nature episode. I see your plumage. And your disdain that I work in a coffeeshop instead of a dot com, a non-profit, anything else a trendy liberal arts graduate should be doing in this oh-so-trendy city.

Perhaps it's the cliche that rubs them the wrong way.

I take insult perhaps too quickly, am too harsh in my judgments when we start hanging out. But then again, if who you really are doesn't impress people, why bother trying to change? Sorry, I know the answer to that question - I think I'm suffering from a venue issue. That those who travel seem to do it on trust funds and look at me oddly when I talk about struggling through moving to the US in a period of crisis.

Will just keep keeping on. And hopefully get more phone calls at the right time so I can duck socializing that isn't actually an obligation. Perhaps I need to hide in the woods...

4 comments:

Pamela said...

Don't let the ding-dongs get you down. Gotta learn to laugh at ridiculous people! :)

BarbQ Notes said...

we are proud of you, moochie-joon. following your own course is less well charted, but well worth the journey.

anne said...

you know, you're not using your degree to serve coffee, because coffee stains, and then your degree wouldn't be pretty any more!

the important part of liberal arts education is seeing the value in all areas of life and living, or figuring out how to put value into those areas.
people who don't get that, well, they didn't get much of an education!

remember your roots. money is not the king, or queen of the world.

anne said...

there needs to be an updated blog here! :)