Monday, August 25, 2008

Stormy weather

I've seen something I never imagined I'd see- rain here on the compound. Yesterday field crew had to stay home because of the wet, in the evening what promised to be a huge storm turned out to be a whole bunch of nothing. But playing volleyball in the sprinkling rain with it actually being cool was a lovely time. And we won a bunch -wooha!

Time here is winding down, digging ends Friday (and Ramadan begins!), people will be leaving right and left come 2/3rd Sept. Folks hold on in their own ways. I realized I never got to watch any Olympics - it makes me sad. And also that I keep not downloading photos, it's on the list to do I swear! (Although because of publication rights I can't post any of the site itself, so you'll have to see them in person if you're interested).

One cool project also mostly completed was my looking at over 40 pages of references to make them stylistically consistent. A big editing job, but I'm glad to have it done (I'm always wary these things will make their way back to me somehow - dealing with 2003-04 objects taught me that lesson already). I also learned the word for "publisher" in a couple languages, for example 'verlag' is German. Just to add to the bag of tricks I suppose.

Two days ago a girl here asked me "Are you really an English teacher?", her voice incredulous. I assured her that I'm just as, if not more so, goofy in class as I am often here. Can't believe I'll be going back to that in just a few weeks, although the plan to head back stateside is still going strong.

Other news of note was that I made some incredible brownies too - rich and gooey. Was proud considering I approximated some things and made other parts up. Chocolate helps when tension mounts.

That could become a peace-keeping strategy.

4 comments:

anne said...

brownies could bring world peace for sure!!
dif look to the blog, "fancier" ??
if many are leaving next wk, what will you and mike do until the 12 or when ever?
enjoy reading this as do many :)

mum

Anonymous said...

yeah... what mum said about "what's your plans?" . Of course, you know I'm a chocolate believer from way back. Nice new look on the blog. lumu-- bbq

Anonymous said...

I'm lining up with your mom and Barb on the chocolate. I don't have nosiness rights on what your plans are that they do. The blog looks good. Thanks for taking us along to the dig. Like I said, I once dreamed of doing that. I am one of the many who enjoy reading your blog. Your editing task makes me think of Andy. Chip off the old block, as they say.

Bethanygallivants said...

As to the feeling that I'm turning into my father as I obsess about punctuation, yes, it's come up a bit.

Plans - we're still trying to figure out about visiting another place or two here in Turkey before the 15th. Otherwise there's always stuff to be done around the dighouse. And US return plans are aiming for me to be back stateside by end of Oct, locale TBA as Mike and I apply to jobs (well, I'm still working on getting resume brushed up...)

Glad ya'll like the new look!