Sunday, February 27, 2011

Musicals! And other adventures

Went on Tuesday to see Avenue Q, one of my favorite musicals ever. English school I teach at had group tickets, so a bunch of staff went along to laugh at the antics. How can I not love a musical that starts with "What can you do with a BA in English?" and goes on from there? The jokes about the Japanese immigrant "I'm coming to this country for opportunity" are even funnier now that I've been working to prevent folks from saying that very thing.

Along with that fun, I went out for drinks with some of my current and former students on Wednesday. We had the typical cultural San Francisco experience of having issues deciding on where to go, but finally found a spot that was close and looked good. Only problem is that they brought other friends along too from current classes or what have you, so we had a group of almost 16 trying to find room in bars during happy hour downtown. Went to a couple different ones, then got a big outdoor table (though it was a little chilly). One of them shared these hilarious maps with me: The world according to San Francisco, and Europe according to the US. I like this art a whole bunch, and laughed at things like all of Russia being "Commies". I like the rest of this artist's work as well, check it out!

Worth a giggle or two; I find my stereotype jokes increasing almost daily!

1 comment:

anne said...

good stuff, this :)