Thursday, February 12, 2009

Internet! Roommate! Chicken Feet!

Ummm, we moved. You knew that, right? Basically successfully though there are still boxes lingering. Need to figure out more heating a place where the heater is in a silly place, doesn't move air, and the power surges if you use space heaters. Though we now have a key to get into the fuse box, that's yet another thrill.

Also exciting was that we finally found a roommate - Nic (for Nicole) is hilarious, lived in London and loves tea, bakes yummy things and works at a design firm with an incredible job title I can't remember off the top of my head. We like her; she came over to meet the landlady and everyone ended up hanging out, eating nachos and telling stories. Definitely a good start.

Barb told me to post this last bit - we've been experimenting with soups and slow cooked food since Mike got a crock pot. At the market yesterday found free-range organic stew chickens for $5, thought we'd make stock. Picked one up and some other yummy things, went to look at incredible Asian art, and then came home. Mike took a nap and I started onions, opened the plastic bag with the chicken (can you feel the tension build?) so I could chop it up for the stew pot.

And there, naked and floppy, were chicken feet! YIKES! I just couldn't deal with their paleness, so I closed up the bag, put it in the fridge and made a cup of tea. Mike had no interest in dealing with it so I sent Sarah a text saying we'd, ummm, need her help majorly. When she came home, tired and worn from work, she laughed at us and then proceeded to pull out the bird only to discover it still had its head attached too! It was a mini horror movie as she deconstructed the bird, and now we have stock.

I did read a lot in the River Cottage Meat Book and learned why buying industrial chicken is pretty gross. As well as how to make stock, his take on pot-au-feu, and some delicious sounding lamb dishes.... Good things to do as the rain begins to actually fall (finally). And it keeps us warm, yes? Huzzah for gas stoves!

4 comments:

anne said...

even tho I was privileged to know the feet story BEFORE reading it, it still gagged me (and I was eating slightly soggy subway veggie sandwich and got smacked w/a limp onion, which put me in mind of floppy chicken feet and I almost hurled....)
so, I suggest cooking/baking to keep house pleasant, and wearing layers, and lots of hot beverages. space heaters make me WAY NERVOUS....
love you!
Go Super Grovers!

Anonymous said...

Yaay! for food preparing adventures. It's never dull in the kitchen :)
Dragan

BarbQ Notes said...

Moochie-joon! LOVE the chicken feet part of the story. And then, to find the head on too, makes the story all the better. Yes, eating isn't tidy at the best of times. After all, veggies often grow in the... (yuk) dirt! Anyhow, it's a fun yarn. Also glad you found another roomie. Love u -- bbq

Pamela said...

Disturbing when our food looks like it did when it was still alive, eh? LOL