Sunday, December 21, 2008

Oh Christmas Tree...

Fun image from yesterday: I ran into Cheryl, another newish Peet's person (who also works at a fabulous sushi restaurant that we're starting to frequent), on my way biking home from work yesterday on the street. We talked about Christmas presents and plans and I was inspired to go look at Christmas trees that I pass daily on the way to work (though they're not open at 5 or 6 a.m.).

It was quite the Charlie Brown moment. I looked at the little trees (affordable and easier to get home) and picked out the cutest one. It was also not fire-proofed (no need) and the cheapest; the guy told me to go pay and then we'd figure out how to rig it to my new back rack. By the time I got back two fellas had already rigged it with a bungee cord so that it was sitting up right there over my back tire. Totally fun to bike down the street snuggled up to a tree complete with red bow on top; I even swung by Cheryl's other job to show her. Holiday cheer all around.

I was almost home when I saw a protest in support of the Greeks coming down the other side of the street, police escort, banners, chanting and all. It was a juxtaposition of seasons and purpose - I got some stares as I cycled past. Decorations have started and I'm feeling festive. Sarah made chocolate salted caramels yesterday too for her secret santa at work - delicious. Here comes the holiday spirit with full force.

I even found the Muppet Family Christmas on youtube, probably my favorite Christmas special. Pete's party on Friday looped Charlie Brown (silently, but since we all have the dialogue memorized it doesn't matter so much). Now to just figure out presents and solidify plans for the day itself!

1 comment:

anne said...

I can certainly see the image, altho it would have been fun to somehow photo yourself as you rode along! am glad you got a tree...it's not such a bad little tree. it's not bad at all. all it needs is a little love....
miss you
mum