Thursday, January 3, 2008

From the cold north...

I figured that I'd write a little something here in the post holiday aftermath. It's been wondrous to be back home again, although I don't feel like I've really stopped moving since mid-December. Somehow Christmas was celebrated six times among my various family branches, I saw a good number of old friends, whisked Mike around Bloomington and tried not to overwhelm him with people (although think that I might have failed). I had to explain that Serbia isn't Saudi Arabia (which was more than a bit silly) one night as well.... don't even ask.

The trip north has been grand as well. My sister Cassie and I went and saw The Phantom of the Opera in Chicago, a fabulous production with lights that made me want to get back into tech theatre. It's been cool to walk around cities again, I also now am the proud owner of red cowboy boots and ridiculously excited about that fact. New Year's Eve rocked with silliness and a ton of food at Gray's house with Katie and Jim, a Night Club reunion from Greece that included way too many jokes made about Thunderball... As if that's possible.

Another fun thing is that my summer appears to be set - I'll be working on a dig in Turkey! Will go end of June to mid-September, check out the site because it's incredible. Met with the director in Chicago and looks like I'll be helping out with some photography work, assisting the ceramics specialist, and actually digging. So that'll be rad even though bug bites and heat aren't my favorite companions ever.

So yes, puns and fun have abounded over the past few weeks. I'm not sure why I'm so into the passive voice right now, but I'll admit that I'm very glad to finally be in Minneapolis and not having to drive for at least a week. Saw Elly in Madison yesterday, we chatted with random people as she tried to convince Mike and I to move there. I'm validated that others also talk to strangers much as I do.

Hope you've been enjoying the holidays and the transition back to "real life" - if you're around the twin cities in the next week and a half let me know! Stay warm!

No comments: